Size: 48 x 56
Pattern: Building Blocks by Leah Day
Reason: I love that I can FMQ on my domestic machine and although stippling is wonderful, I wanted to learn new techniques.
Fabric / Best Buys: Almost entirely scraps. I only dipped into my stash for the yellow and blue and white.
Thoughts: This was a really interesting class and learning process. Even though I've FMQed many quilts before I could feel myself getting more comfortable as the class went on.
I used a 2" binding strip instead of 2½". It made a nice thin binding.
1) My sewing machine does not like to FMQ with poly as the top thread (it breaks lots). Poly in the bobbin works just fine.
2) Pencil washes off of white fabric
3) I don't like premarking quilting patterns, but it really helps with accuracy so suck it up.
4) Don't undo your work just because it's not perfect. The triumph is in the learning and growing.
5) If doing different colour ways front and back try to have ONE colour in common to make choosing a binding colour easier. Just sayin.